Thursday, June 4, 2009

Setting Up A Remote SMTP Relay In Postfix On Linux Or Unix

Hey there,

Too much to do today to write anything with gristle ;)

I did, however, run into an issue with Postfix email SMTP relaying that drove me nuts until I found this link on the web about how to configure postfix to use a remote smtp relay host

I've paraphrased below to save my saviour some bandwidth :)

I hadn't dealt with Postfix in forever and, naturally, assumed that the whole setup was far more complicated than it was, and it ended up costing me a bit of time. Once again, life knocks me down a peg. Pretty soon I won't be sitting so high and mighty ;)

Here's the solution (from the link above) Easy as Pie:

This is a public service message, because when I queried google "configure postfix remote smtphost", I couldn't find anything useful to the question I was trying to answer.

So you're running Linux, and your ISP is filtering traffic on port 25, thus blocking you from sending outgoing mail, and so you want to configure your mailserver to relay all your mail out through your ISP's server, like they want you to. If you're running postfix, this turns out to be very easy -- in /etc/postfix/main.cf, just set the variable:

relayhost = smtp.yourisp.com
then restart postfix (/etc/init.d/postfix restart, as root).

You're welcome.


, Mike




Discover the Free Ebook that shows you how to make 100% commissions on ClickBank!



Please note that this blog accepts comments via email only. See our Mission And Policy Statement for further details.