Sunday, March 23, 2008

Apt and Yum Command Cross Reference

Hey there,

Today, we're following up on yesterday's post of our common PKG and RPM command cross reference. Hopefully, this will enhance our previous post by providing the equivalent apt and yum commands for the Solaris Unix pkg and RedHat Linux RPM commands (where they exist) that we went through yesterday..

The format for the list below, will be the same as our PKG and RPM reference and we'll present the actions in the exact same order, so you can put the posts side by side and translate between all four package manipulation methods at a glance. Again, the format is:

What We Want To Do: APT command - YUM command
<--- with PKG being the package name.

Enjoy your Sunday and hope this helps you out. If you know of any way to do a lot of these things with apt or yum that I don't, please feel free to email me and I'll be glad to update this page :)

Show package info: apt-cache show PKG - yum info PKG
Install package: apt-get install PKG - yum install PKG
Remove package: apt-get remove PKG - yum remove PKG
List the package that owns a particular FILE: Can't be done to my knowledge - yum provides PKG
List all files in an already installed package: Can't be done to my knowledge - Can't be done to my knowledge
List all files in an uninstalled package FILE: Can't be done to my knowledge - Can't be done to my knowledge
List all packages installed on your system: Can't be done to my knowledge - yum list installed
Check that all files from a package are installed correctly: Can't be done to my knowledge - Can't be done to my knowledge
Check that all files from all packages are installed correctly: Can't be done to my knowledge - Can't be done to my knowledge
Check that a package FILE is OK before installing: Can't be done to my knowledge - Can't be done to my knowledge
Fix an altered package installation: Can't be done to my knowledge - Can't be done to my knowledge


Cheers,

, Mike






, Mike